With Thanksgiving being so late this year, we started putting up some Christmas decorations during the week of Thanksgiving. I know, some of you are cringing. That’s okay. In our hunt for our lights that we usually put up, I found they were missing! Along with them were our stockings.
Well now, this could create problems. Lights are easy enough to replace, but stockings have a little more emotional attachment.
Then I remembered that the previous stockings had annoyed me every Christmas because they were too small. And I had a horrible habit of really liking to shop for stocking stuffers, despite my goal each year to keep it smaller, I always ran out of room after putting just two or three things in. In addition to that, our names were still not on the stockings and there was always confusion to whom they belonged.
Thus I decided that missing stockings might not be such a bad thing. Indeed, not at all. A trip to my favorite fabric store on Friday yielded some beautiful fabrics designated for the new stockings. Here is where I confess an internal battle I had. I was so tempted to buy the uber trendy chevrons and crazy Christmas patterns. But my practical side won out, opting for something very traditional and classic, because if I’m going to go through this work, I’m going to only do it once.
Making a pattern, three hours and some Silhouette cuts later, these are the results.
Fabrics (red – Moda, green - Julie Comstock (yeah, figured out after the fact that this was fabric printed with a pattern designed by a scrapbook company).
For the Silhouette cuts, I used the regular blade. I didn’t have a fabric blade, but I did have a new blade, so I used the new regular blade and it cut beautifully. I don’t know if the fabric blade cuts better, but the regular blade certainly works.